Sunday, September 18, 2016

Module 6 - Leader from the Past

There is one leader who set my career path in motion. My third grade science teacher, Ms. Young, exhibited transformational leadership, helping me transform with a self determined sense of identity. She was more of an introvert intellect, confident about her style (natural not too flashy fashion) and joyful personality to teach others. At times, I would stay behind in her class to feed the animals, help post up artwork in the class, thinking I can’t wait until tomorrow.

She was nurturing, breaking us into small groups, engaging with the us, even taking out outside the classroom which to me was good enough because who wants to stay in one place for more than 3 hours. She was attentive to our needs taking time to review concepts that were challenging and then encouraging us to take the lead. For example, expanding our values at home, being open to exploring and learning nature to understand the impacts of nature. She gave us accolades for our work, something my parents till this day have saved my artwork no matter how bad or good it was since grade school.

She showed us the beauty of nature. I love the smell of the outdoors after the rain, and I’m not usually fearful of the bugs that come out afterwards. She communicated the expectations to the class, using emotional appeal of awe with tactical learning. Learning by practice gave me inspirational motivation to go forward to pursue further intellectual stimulation beyond her class. For example, I choose to making my final science project on the study of earthworms exchange of gas and longevity, combining what I learned from her class with the current teacher at the time. At one point, I wanted to be scientist because of all the knowledge gained from plants and species, I thought what a great way to spend your life studying your environment. 

I stuck more to the technical side of science, transitioning to engineering because more clubs/societies were created and combined together as science clubs. I was encourage to join because of my science teacher who created a supportive climate, engaging with my parents on my progress in the class and helping me recognize my potential much like another teacher later on. My 6th grade teacher,Ms. Harris, passed out a test for the class to complete about civilization through centuries. After grading, she passed them out visibility frustrated, and before handing me my test, she made an announcement to the class telling everyone I was only person to score 100. Talk about pressure and getting stares from friends, complementing me on my studies, and since then I can’t recall if I maintain satisfactory grades or not. 


Overall, I wanted to emulate Ms. Young, at one point I didn’t want to leave her class. She will always have great respect and credit to my educational development.

No comments:

Post a Comment