Sunday, August 14, 2016

MSLD 511 Module 1- Leadership a Two Way Street

The summer after my second semester in college, I was asked by a leader to volunteer for a week grade school students who enrolled into an summer program. The program is apart of an outreach education initiative funded by the local community to give students the opportunity to grow their knowledge in math and science. I felt I was asked to be a apart of this initiative to be a indirect role model for students, most transiting from 5th to middle school. The person in charge of this initiative is leader in her own right because she asked for funding support from schools to encourage other leaders in political arena to support communities who are often over looked. I admire what she is able to bring to the community encouraging change, proper behavior, etc. Although I don't seem much of an influencer, she has told me how many time she is proud of me and I always say in the back of my mind, what for? As I explain to her my career aspirations, that is when she asked me to be apart of the camp to see a rising young professional. As I told her about my studies, she mentioned how discipline I was and applying that to mean something she can learn from when executing her vision. In addition, I have influence this leader by sharing my knowledge and being involved in programs similar to this initiative. This initiative falls under the Office of Community Outreach held at a well known church in my hometown community. The program mainly focuses on math and science skills coupled with life skills. 

Life skills is a topic of interest some continue to debate on whether they should be taught in school. For some the argument is that this will help reduce student debt solely focused on financial interest and for others, they want to see students be aware of these skills prior to entering as some call the real world capable of making decisions to curb trends that have appeared in the last decade, such as boomerang kids, or falling into a family history pattern. The World Health Organization (1994) reported that life skills are abilities for adaptive and positive behavior, that enable individuals to deal effectively with the demands and challenge of everyday life (para. 3).
Having an outreach initiative can enhance learning skills, and I remember during the program most students were happy to be away from home, whereas, I encourage them to be able to manage life ups and downs, through activities and games. I try to influence good will to others. 

As far as I can remember, during the summers in grade school, I became friends with someone in close relation to this leader while attending college sponsored summer programs. One important way I am and continue to be impacted by this leader is that no matter what may be going on personally the drive to ignite change in other is the primary motivation for this leader. Being that this leader has achieved things in life personally well simultaneously making life a little brighter for other is something I wish to posses one day, without sacrificing one for the other. I'm able to leader from her and vice a versa to inspire others to reach back to the community. Recently going back to my home town, this leader, Dr. Cole, has sponsored events encouraging major support from donor such as colleges, to put on art events for adults and kids alike to come together something that may be missing or would find difficult to participate in because of circumstances such as cost. This initiative reference above  was designed to help students improve their overall performance, guiding them to practice life skills such as handling conflicts, financial literacy and exposure to various art disciplines. I know one time I paid to learn CPR, something I said I will continue to educate myself in as I try to apply to be a member of the American Red Cross. If I want to improve and gain these skills, I also would like to see others improve at the same time. Leadership being a two way street is a peer mentor relationship, as the student becomes the teacher. Leaders should also be willing to divide their time to personally develop and develop others around them. An emerging leader should be motivated to lead not doesn't just lead when there is a clear need too.


Life skills education in schools. (1994). World Health Organization. Retrieved from http://www.asksource.info/pdf/31181_lifeskillsed_1994.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment