Sunday, April 3, 2016

Personal Standards

                   Important aspects of my life involve daily routines such as going grocery shopping, contacting family members, and checking off items on my to do list. I believe standards are necessary to evaluate the quality of my routines and embracing ideals through daily activity. Some are self taught and others a innate beliefs. Some important standards are critical thinking ones such as reliable, consistent and testable. 

Image result for clock
Time could be on your side
(adapted from internet images)

               Being reliable was the first compliment I received while performing a job. The word reliable has a two-fold meaning in my opinion. One meaning is to be available as stated and the second meaning is to fully engage resources to completion, in other words, work until completion with desired outcome. I hold the standard of consistency the same way. 

                  Sometimes I find myself avoiding being consistent all the time to incorporate standards such as spontaneity or rewarding my accomplishments by going out to have fun.
         But when I’m consistent, it means my attempt to execute task on my to do list is done with the same passion and desire for favorable outcomes as previously completed tasks. 


                I’m uniquely discipline by my weakness of not giving myself enough credit. Recognition and awarding, something that is your responsibility or due diligence to perform, is not why I do it in the first place. My reaction is internal celebration, unseen by most, that contributes to positive energy. I adapted to something when I’m happy with the results. This could mean trying different hairstyles if it takes me all day, valuing the end result not the hours spent. 

               My testable standard is exemplified when challenging myself  to assuming roles that I’m a little hesitant to perform for an organization, like coordinate the largest event of year or become a board members. Sourcing for information that already exist, by not imitating it, but initiating a starting point. I consider myself a late adopter in product consumption but an innovator with futuristic thoughts of how to improve existing situations. 

                                                                    Good eats:

When in a hurry, this is dinner.
             My upbringing is a testament of these standards. My parents balanced each other, seeing one involved in community activities and the other not so much but attentive to things that that benefit them. For example, leave one job to go to another or meeting, execute task, sign up for another task, then come home and start working a personal list. I usually prepare in advance, so I don’t compromise my physical, mental and emotion health, although, my goal is to continuously improve. 

Shrimp and Grits 
              If I was to rate my daily activities one a scale of unselfish to selfish acts, the scale would fall more to the unselfish side. This is not to say everything you do as selfish, but just for visual, as stated by a few of my peers, enjoy life. I have been told recently by several peers, I do too much for others and not enough for myself.

          My standards have evolved over the years such as not thinking twice about being a generous friend (for example, not asking for money back if I paid for them). I sorta picked it up from another friend, and explaining it to my younger sister in terms of giving up something for the return of something doesn’t always have to be the same. By popular opinion, some would associate as indian giving, or expecting something in return. I find myself giving more advice to others, rather than really living it, therefore, I try to incorporate more of my own advice. 

Lounging at the Movies. Hard to see but the seats are recliners


             I have learned to incorporate more free time in my schedule, scaling back on some of my direct involvement in activities, such as captain of health walks, and supporting indirectly through financial means or attending as an observer. I value integrity and always try to correct something when finding it was not don’t right. I don’t want to call myself a perfectionist but when I sign up for something, I will apply these standards more so than any others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment